How to Take a Shaka Guide Tour
Aloha and thank you for downloading Shaka Guide. Please watch the video below to help you start your downloaded Shaka Guide tour.
How to Take a Shaka Guide Tour
1. Select the Tour
Now that you've purchased and downloaded the tour of your choice, the adventure can begin! Go ahead and select the tour you purchased (or if you purchased the bundle, the tour you'd like to take) and then click on "Take The Tour."
2. Choose a Tour Starting Point
• You'll then be asked if you'd like a "Tutorial to Start the Tour." We highly recommend you select yes, especially if this it the first time you're taking a Shaka Guide tour! Here, you'll get a series of tips to help you use the app and get connected to your car's stero.
• This is a good time to connect your phone’s audio to the car stereo system. This will allow you to hear audio from your car’s speakers as you drive. Check out our tutorial here to learn how to connect to your car stereo.
• You'll also be promted to get directions to a tour starting point. Some of our tours have mutiple starting points, if this is the case, select the point that's closest to you or works best for your journey. If there's just one starting point, select that.
Pro tip! You can join any tour in progress, just select the starting point closest, then you'll be asked if you'd like to join the tour in progress or start at the point. If you choose this option we do not supply audio narration to guide you to the nearest point, you'll have to use the offline map.
3. Follow the Directions to the Start of Tour
Once you select your tour starting point, Google or Apple maps will open and give you turn-by-turn directions. Once you've reached the tour starting point (the green flag on the map) the Shaka Guide app will pop up and the audio will start!
Please note: If you've selected that you'd like directions to the tour starting point, and you miss the point, the tour audio will not start. If this is the case, just backtrack to pass the green flag, or pull over, log out, and restart the tour but opt to join the tour in progress.
1. There are a couple other tips we have to help you get the most of our offline map. If you tap on the circular ‘help’ icon (see image above, bottom right corner), you can hear the tutorial again, change the tour direction, or get tech FAQ's to help you troubleshoot some problems you may be having.
2. At the top of the map, you'll see there's an option for map or list view (see image above). If you go to the list view, you can see the full list of tour points on the map in numerical order. If you tap on one of these points, you can read an audio snippet to learn about the point.
3. When you make a stop at any point in the tour, simply toggle off the green toggle button (see image above, bottom, green toggle under "Grand Circle Island Tour in progress"). This helps save your battery life. When you’re ready to start the tour back up again, you can tap on the ‘resume tour’ button in the app.
4. This screen to the left is designed to allow you to double check your audio after your make a stop. Just click the play button to test audio. If you hear it through the car stereo, it is good to go. Then just click “All good, lets go!”
5. If for whatever reason you are still having trouble with the app. Feel free to reach out to our tech support. Select the support tab on the bottom for different ways to get in touch or the chat function in the bottom right corner.
6. One more quick tip, along the tour route there are hikes, beaches, viewpoints, and restaurants that you may want to get more information about. Feel free to do this under the “Highlights” section of the app. You can locate it by going back to the tours tab and scrolling to the bottom of the page. Click tour highlights and browse the various categories. Select the category of interest to learn more.