Know Before You Go, Shenandoah National Park
You’re about to go on an epic adventure in Shenandoah National Park! Here’s what you need to know before you go.
- The tour has two starting points, one in Front Royal, Virginia, and one in Waynesboro, VA.
- The tour takes about 6-8 hours to complete.
- You can take the tour north to south beginning in Front Royal or south to north beginning in Waynesboro.
- Shenandoah National Park is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- The Skyline Drive - the park’s only public road - does close due to inclement weather. Check the NPS website in advance.
- Entry to the park is $30 per vehicle.
- Be mindful of icy roads in the winter - you will be driving in the mountains.
- Luray Caverns is the only stop on the tour with an entrance fee, see budgeting below for more information.
- From March 1st to November 30th, tickets are required to hike Old Rag Mountain. Learn more here.
Budgeting - What to Budget for Your Shenandoah National Park Tour
How much you spend truly depends on what you do along the tour route, but here’s a breakdown of some costs:
- Entry to the park costs $30 per vehicle, valid for 7 days. Or, you can get an Annual National Park Pass for $55 a year.
- Luray Caverns fees are $35 for adults, $29 for seniors, and $16 for children ages 6-12. Subject to change. Check the website in advance for more information.
Packing Listing - What to Pack for Your Trip to Shenandoah National Park
Here’s our packing list for this tour. It may seem a little long, but remember, what you bring depends on the activities you choose to do for the day.
- Phone charger - very important!
- Phone mount
- Hiking clothes - layer up
- Hiking shoes
- Lawn chairs, for soaking in that perfect view
- Bug spray
- Canteen/ refillable water bottle
- Credit card
While exploring, we encourage you to abide by the leave-no-trace principles. Embrace the outdoors responsibly with our commitment to preserving natural wonders.
Respect wildlife habitats, minimize your footprint, and carry out memories, not waste. By following Leave No Trace principles, you contribute to the longevity and beauty of our planet's most stunning landscapes.
We hope that we’ve given you all the information you need to make the most of your day. Your vacation is extremely important to us so if you have any questions feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more detailed information to help you plan, check out our Shenandoah National Park Itinerary.
Like this article? Share it on Pinterest!